Yes, that’s right, Polka Dots & PRs!!! You will be able to see posts ranging from cool workout fashions to exercise tips….from the health benefits of coconut oil to why I love burpees so much….from motivational quotes to how to train for an obstacle race…you get the picture! So, I felt, as a coach and personal trainer, it was only appropriate that my first post discuss why exercise is so vitally important! Hope you enjoy!
There are countless studies & articles posted about the importance of exercise. The following are my top ten reasons why exercise can help you to live a better life!!!
1) Exercise makes you happier!!! Physical activity releases chemicals in your brain, endorphins, that are known to make you feel happier and more relaxed! This to me is first and foremost on the list. I believe happiness is the key to everything in life!
2) A healthy body weight can be maintained. When you engage in physical activity, you burn calories. The more intense the activity, the more calories you burn! Amazing how that works, isn’t it?! There are so many little things you can do throughout the day to burn extra calories, like taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
3) It boosts energy! Exercising delivers oxygen and nutrients to your whole body helping it to work more efficiently. Regular physical activity can improve your muscle strength and boost your endurance. Believe it or not, you will have more energy to take the stairs, really!
4) Exercise is good for your mind! It increases the level of growth factors, chemicals that help make new brain cells and establish new connections between brain cells to help us learn. Studies show that test scores are higher in cases where physical activity is performed beforehand. It’s also been shown to fend off memory loss and keep skills like vocabulary retrieval strong. What was that word again, oh yeah, EXERCISE!
5) Regular physical exercise has been proven to help prevent a wide variety of health problems. Being active boosts HDL, or “good” cholesterol and decreases unhealthy triglycerides. Research says that 30 minutes of exercise a day is all you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
6) Body image and self-esteem improve from exercise. Who doesn’t want to feel better about themselves?! Studies show that just seeing fitness improvements will give you a confidence boost. So whether you are able to lift more weight or improve a running time, your self-esteem can improve.
7) Exercise helps you sleep better. Regular physical activity can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. One caution, don’t exercise too close to bedtime, you might be too wired to fall asleep.
8) Depression can be lifted as well as the effects of stress on the body by exercising. Research suggests that it can reduce symptoms of depression about as effectively as antidepressants! In addition, when you exercise it increases levels of serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine, the “soothing” or “happy” brain chemicals.